As I sit down to write this I find myself giggling just thinking about you and all of your little Ewan-isms. You define the word 'individual.' There is truly no other creature like you....and boy am I over the moon happy that you are ours! I'm realizing we only have one more year left together with you at home before you start Kindergarten....and I'm going to make sure I don't miss a single second to soak in all of my Ewan time until I burst. It is so special to me and I know this year will go fast. Looking back on this past year, you've given us a gazillion things to smile about....here are just a few of the things that made you YOU.
I'll be honest, the two's challenged us with you and into the three's. But I finally realized you aren't just any ordinary kid that ordinary guidelines worked for. You're different. And different is beautiful. You respond to love. Not punishment or reward. You need patience and hugs and someone to hear your side. I had to change my parenting style with you...and you taught me how to do that. And it worked. You have become such a gentle boy (albeit still peppered with your wily ways)with so much compassion for other peoples feelings. You recognize when others are hurting and need help. You're the first to rush over when either Millie or Esmee get hurt or you notice tears. It is the sweetest thing to watch.
We love it when you get home from preschool and describe your day. You disappointedly point out what you didn't like first when asked 'how was your day?' "Manuela spilled her yogurt on me." "We did not play race cars today." "My socks got wet at the playground." Once you've informed me of your pitfalls for the day, you dive into the good with a lengthy, detailed explanation filled with pride. "I built a tower to the sky!" "I painted a beautiful picture for you, Mommy!" "I ate all my lunch today!" I love that you find it necessary and healing to release the negative first and save the best for last!
Your favorite food request is "a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with no crusts and no peanut butter...just jelly." When I say "ok, so just a jelly sandwich?" You furrow your brow and repeat it firmly with an emphasis on 'peanut butter' as if I'm not listening to your order. "No, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with no peanut butter!" It makes me giggle. I adore your quirks....and you have many.
You are such a charmer and a lover. You are constantly telling us that we are all your best friends. And often, including out loud in grocery stores, you will announce "Mommy, I don't want you to die." Whew! You will wake me up out of a deep slumber at 3 am yelling "Mommy, Mommy!" When I rush down half asleep thinking you've just had a nightmare or thrown up, you simply say "i love you so much..." and then you quickly fall back to sleep. As I rub my eyes and briefly think 'couldn't that have waited until morning???' I instantly fill with pride and glee at how fortunate I am to be the recipient of your love...especially at 3 in the morning.
You laugh at the misfit, naughty characters in movies and it's because you can relate to them. You love practical jokes and pranks. You always tell us when you've farted and want us to smell your stinky feet. You're known to lock us out of bathrooms and we have to fetch the key. You will even do this in public restrooms and climb under the stall. You love mischief and we have to keep our eye on you every second. You adore your sisters and you adore heckling them. When you're bored, you grab your whoopie cushion and entertain yourself for minutes on end.
You have added such a spark and a flame to our family and we can't thank you enough for letting us be a part of your life journey. If what you brought these last 4 years is any indication of what the future holds, we are in for a thrilling, exciting, wild and wonderful ride. I love you so, so much, my sweet boy. Happy Birthday, Little Tiger!
xx




1 comment:
Ummmm this is just something special this "looking back at this year story"
Post a Comment