Friday, July 17, 2020

Millie's 12!

My sweet, sweet Millie.  This last year has probably been your most transformative…I think 11-12 is probably the biggest change I’ve seen in you thus far (and can only imagine what 12-13  will bring, oy!).  The memory of meeting you for the first time 12 years ago is so vivid in my head and heart that I can still feel the weight of your little newborn self in my arms.  When Kalaya chose us to be your mom and dad she made us the happiest, most grateful two people in the whole wide world.  Her ultimate sacrifice was a gift beyond measure.  I needed her to create you…and boy did she create a magical creature.  And she needed me to carry the torch from the moment you entered this world.  An honor I do not take lightly.  My bond with her lives on in YOU every single day.  You are the biggest gift and greatest example of what the love between two mothers can forge and all that is possible in creating a family.  I admire her and celebrate her on your birthday too.   I’ve cherished these last 12 years with you, MillieBeans….you came into our lives and gave us purpose and instilled in us a love that there are no words to describe.  Here are a few things that describe your 11th year….

A big leap from elementary school to middle school!  I wasn’t prepared for the difference a grade makes….it really blew me away and had me trying to catch my breath at all of the fast changes that occurred in such a short amount of time.  You were nervous and excited about going into 6th grade.  You went from a grade of 50 kids to a grade of 250 kids…a big jump.   You made a lot of new friends….really good new friends….and you grew stronger with your old friends.   You had a friendship explosion! In Middle School, it’s tough for us to know all of the new people you’re meeting…but we trust you so much to make good choices because you just always have….you associate with good people and it was really fun to watch.  You fit right in and got the hang of changing classes and dealing with a much heavier school load.  It wasn’t always easy and the subjects were much more challenging…but from a Mom’s point of view, I feel like you came out of sixth grade unscathed, happy, excited and ready for 7th grade.   I was beaming.  

You juggled 2 soccer teams this year….we were a little hesitant to let you do both….but you made both the club team and the Whitman Wildcat’s team so you decided to give it a try.  You had practice most nights each week and 2 games each weekend….and you crushed it!  You were captain on your club team and you were a starter on both teams.  And to my amazement you managed your time so darn well!  You made every practice for both teams, you made almost every game (except for the couple of times they overlapped) AND….you still managed to get all of your homework done, your home responsibilities taken care of and you had great grades throughout the year.  I was tired just watching you…but you thrived with a full schedule!  

You took the babysitting course and pretty much got jobs right outside the gate.  Friends and neighbors were on the edge of their seats waiting for the day you could officially babysit.   You have quite the little money making gig going!  It’s impressive to watch you manage the money you’re making and purchase things you’ve had on your ‘wish list’ with that hard earned money.  And you’re really great about saving your money too!  I love seeing the responsibility that comes with all of this….you’re nailing it :) 

Just as you were at the height of your social hangouts and a little more freedom to roam the streets with your friends, the pandemic hit.  Not being able to see your friends, school ending abruptly, soccer coming to an immediate halt and a new fear of the unknown….it hit us all like a ton of bricks.  But I think it hit you especially hard because you are such an extroverted, social butterfly and you were forced to limit that social interaction that you thrive on.  It’s been tough on you and you’ve been really great at letting us know how hard it is.  I love that you open up to dad and I so easily…especially when you’re sad or mad…you wear your emotions on the outside and you don’t hold things in……a quality that will serve you well in life because it allows you to feel all the feels and move on.   You’ve graduated to outdoor hangs with distance and you’re managing it well.   Not the same as before, but you’re cherishing whatever you can get!  

Your best friend for the last 7 years has been Soleil and you two are as strong as ever!  You are the healthiest kid I know…scratch that…the healthiest HUMAN I know!  You drink daily green smoothies, eat walnuts for dessert, get your 10,000 steps daily, you value sleep, and you know how to calm your stress.   You favorite dinner is beans on toast.  You prefer vegetarian to meat dishes.  You love Gray’s Anatomy,  Fuller House and too often ask me if you can watch R-rated movies (lol!).  You can now wear my shoes and often do.  You are always dancing…always….you know every tok-tok dance and you’re really, really good at them.  You love shopping at Brandy Melville and you love wearing sweatshirts and jeans.  You win at almost every sport you play….you’re a damn good athlete.  You spend more time in your room to the heartbreak of dad and I (but we totally get it). You love playing around with make up and fake nails.  You wear your hair in a top knot all the time and it is the cutest thing!  You always ask me if you can have a hug (melts my heart).  You love your family and friends so much and are so loyal to all of us.  You’re cool….I think that now as a 46 year old, and know that my 12 year old self would have wanted to be Millie Keegan! 

We are so grateful for you and pinch ourselves daily at the joy you bring us.  You are a superstar….you are all things beautiful and golden.  I love you so incredibly much, Millie  and I hope you have the best birthday and a year of learning, loving and fun beyond measure.   
xoxo
Mom





2 comments:

elise said...

Millie, you fierce little firecracker! Reading about your year brings me so much happiness. How you have propelled into this independent loyal amazing human that's incredibly hardworking and great at all things sports - this just blows me away. Each birthday brings me back to when you were introduced to us all... the hard to get a smile out of baby that filled up all of our hearts in Vancouver. We were so excited for your arrival, and you didn't disappoint!
I love hearing about your babysitting and your best friends and how much you embraced school so easily. On my last visit I loved how welcoming you were into your space and explained the cool changes you guys made to your rooms.
You are quick with a smile now and it brightens up every room you enter. Happy Birthday Sweetheart I hope this year is amazing

The Good Kids said...

Elise!! WE love you soooo incredibly much!! Your words mean THE WORLD!!! MUAH!!!